Tuesday 19 July 2005

Self-censorship?

Should there be self-censorship when it comes to blogging? Should we be careful what we post on our blogs? Is there a line we should not cross?

I initially thought that blogging was something like our personal diary. A place to jot down whatever we wanted but are there things we are not supposed to post? I realise that even I myself do decide carefully what I write on my blog. In fact, there are a lot of things that I don't write. Why? Sometimes it is to protect myself. Sometimes it is to protect others, especially the ones that I love. Sometimes it is because I plainly forgot what I wanted to write! :)

The thing is we do self-censor ourselves all the time and I think that's good... there should be freedom in what we do but in that freedom, we have to be responsible too. Its ok to do what we want and when we want but if our actions/inactions affect others, it is then when we have to be careful with the freedom we have and this applies to our posts too.

I know it is easier said then done cos I have done so many things that are impulsive and selfish, without thinking about the consequences, and I have suffered for it and probably will continue to suffer for it. For if there are fools, I am probably one of the biggest around.

I guess the point is, we ought to constantly remind ourselves to do unto others what we want others to do unto ourselves.

Yes, it is another one of those grim and depressing blogs...

No comments: